The industry for weight lost pills, shakes, nutritional products, exercise machines, and gadgets is a billion dollar market. Consumers are investing much of their hard earned money into the promise that a product or program will magically get them the designer body they have longed for. There are no magic pills for losing weight and sustaining the desired weight. The reality is the body has its own defense mechanism to counter the starvation/weight loss mode. This results in the survival mechanism to store fat after a while. Many of us have experienced the yo-yo weight loss-weight gain frustration.
A more natural approach to achieve and maintain our ideal weight is to adopt healthy lifestyle changes. This will result in a slow steady weight loss while at the same time allowing for the individual to adopt healthier habits which will sustain the gains from the behavior change.
Here are the key areas for behavior change for healthy living:
There is a diversity of diets, and it is important to factor into the plan your distinct culture, lifestyle, health issues, and of course your personal weight loss goal.
- Portion control is far more effective than restriction of foods. Have a small amount of dishes rather than deprive yourself of your favorite foods.
- Make a list and shop for foods including fruits, vegetable, and supplements.
- A healthy diet should contain foods from the food groups of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Decrease salt, sugar and eliminate trans-fats from your meals.
- Increase servings of fruits and vegetables to 3-5 servings daily. This will guarantee the daily requirements of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Aim to have a very colorful plate of red, green, yellow, orange, and purple foods e.g. bell peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, squash, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, and all types of legumes.
- Trim fat from meat and opt to bake, broil or steam. Limit your intake of processed foods.
- If you are a vegetarian, be sure to have ample servings of legumes prepared in a variety of ways. Dark green and purple leafy vegetables are excellent to have raw, steamed, or lightly stir fried.
- Let water be your first drink of choice. It will quench thirst, keep you well hydrated, and fill you up so you eat less. Flavored water helps those who need a little help to improve their water intake.
Just simply get moving:
- Beat sedentarism by walking around more. Take breaks from the computer screen every 2 hours. Can you do 10,000 steps a day. Try this with the help of a pedometer.
- Get outdoor and busy improving the curb appeal, gardening, or taking on a home improvement project.
- If arthritis has made you less active, then try swimming or gentle exercises like yoga or pilate.
- Dancing is a fun way to keep fit and flexible.
- Imitate the cat and do frequent stretches by arching your back and stretching your limbs.
Change one bad habit at a time and replace with the healthier option. You will be surprised at how you will lose the weight without torturing yourself with weird diets and backbreaking exercises.
Hello_jadoc, Readers Bureau, Contributor
Do you want to add feedback to this story? Please add comment in box below.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TheReadersBureau
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/readersbureau21