Lara Logan makes her come back to the “60 Minutes” program after a forced seven-month leave of absence, according to news report.
Logan, the chief foreign affairs correspondent for CBS News and a correspondent for CBS’s 60 Minutes ran afoul of company policy over an Oct. 27 report in which security contractor, Dylan Davies, claimed to have been present and active at the Sept. 11, 2012 raid on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi.
Reports later proved that Davies had blind sided Logan as he had earlier told both his contractor and the FBI that he was not present at the compound on the night of the attack.
Logan was made to apologize, and 60 Minutes was left with no choice but to retract the story.
In her apology at the time, Logan said, “You know the most important thing to every person at 60 Minutes is the truth,” she said in the on-air apology on the morning show. “And today the truth is we made a mistake. And that’s a … that’s very disappointing for any journalist. That’s very disappointing for me.”
She further noted, “Nobody likes to admit they made a mistake. But if you do, you have to stand up and take responsibility – and you have to say you were wrong. And in this case we were wrong.”
Following the report, Logan received a lot of flak from both the press and members of the public. She was criticized for being careless in the use of a source without first verifying its integrity and also charged with tarnishing the 60 Minutes brand.