Banana cakes are gaining popularity at a large number of bakeries as well as among householders, both locally and internationally. However, not all banana cakes are equal, so if you want to taste something different — the Jamaican way, here is the recipe:
2½ cups sifted cake flour
1½ cups granulated sugar
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
½ cup butter
¾ cup buttermilk
1¼ cups mashed ripe Jamaican bananas
1. Sift together the sifted cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add shortening, butter, buttermilk, and mashed banana; mix until moistened, then beat on low speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes.
3. Add eggs and beat 1 minute longer. Grease 2 9-inch round or square layer cake pans and line bottoms with waxed paper.
4. Grease waxed paper.
5. Divide batter, pour into the two pans; bake at 350° F for 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes in pans; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Marcia Wright, Readers Bureau, Fellow
Edited by Jesus Chan
Do you want to add feedback to this story? Please add a comment in the box below or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TheReadersBureau
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/readersbureau21