“Tun yuh han’mek fashion” and “tek yuh hand tun fashion” are two popular sayings among Jamaicans – meaning make the most out of what you have or to take what you have and make something new.
This covers the whole gamut of “do it yourselfer” tasks and cooking is no exception.
However, as it is in Jamaica, so it is Caribbean-wide when it comes to making Saltfish cakes.
Yes, there may be variation in names and recipes, but the end result — a tasty delicious meal.
So, here is the recipe for the Saltfish cake.
2 tablespoon oil
1 cup onions
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Salt to taste
1 egg lightly beaten
¾ cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons shallots
½ lb salted cod fish, cooked and flaked
1 large fresh hot pepper
1. Finely chop onion, shallots, and hot pepper.
2. Sauté oil and onions until wilted.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
4. In a smaller bowl, mix egg, butter, and milk.
5. Make indention in dry ingredients; pour egg mixture into and mix lightly.
6. Add chopped vegetables, fish, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
7. Drop by spoon full into hot oil, 2-3 at a time. Brown and serve.
Jenny Cooke, Readers Bureau, Fellow
Edited by Jesus Chan
Do you want to add feedback to this story? Please add a comment in the box below or send us an email at email@example.com
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TheReadersBureau
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/readersbureau21