Jamaicans and visitors to the island can now ‘Tek-A-Hike’ at the world-famous Dunn’s River Falls & Park in Ocho Rios, St. Ann.
‘Tek-A-Hike’ is the newest product offering, developed by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC), at the Dunn’s River Falls & Park attraction.
It offers a mixture of ecological tourism, health and wellness, and cultural heritage.
According to a JIS News report, the Director, of Business Development at UDC, Dena Chatrie, said the new product is a guided, one-hour-and-a-half hike that starts at the Tranquility Gardens and ends in the Dunn’s River Falls & Park Nursery.
She noted that guests can purchase plants or adopt a tree as part of the park’s Reforestation and Conservation Program.
She further noted that the hike is approximately two miles and is an experience that the entire family can enjoy, as along the trail there are several activities in which persons can participate.
“On the hike, you’ll learn about the flora, the fauna on the entire property, which is called the Belmont property, and the history of Dunn’s River in general,” said Ms. Chatrie.
The Director added that guests will also get a chance to visit the Belmont Great House ruins and learn about its rich history.
“It’s the newest addition to our Dunn’s River Falls and Park attraction, so we just want persons to come on, relax and enjoy nature, recharge at our Dunn’s River, the falls and also get some refreshing ideas whilst lying on the beach,” she added.
The features of the new product — ‘Tek-A-Hike’ include the following:
- A mixture of ecological tourism, health &wellness, and cultural heritage offering.
- Weekends — Saturdays and Sundays with tours starting at 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and 2 p.m.
- A guided one and half hour (1.5 hrs.) hike starts at the Tranquility Gardens, DRFP, and is approximately 3km (2 miles).
- Hikers will learn about the flora (plants) and fauna (animals) on the Belmont property and the history of the Dunn’s River.
- The hikers will visit the Belmont Great House Ruins and learn about its rich cultural history.
- The trail ends in the World-Famous Dunn’s River Falls & Park Nursery where patrons will be able to purchase plants and/or Adopt-a-Tree as a part of the Park’s Reforestation and Conservation Program.
- Guests can also enjoy shopping at the gift shop and craft market.
The Dunn’s River Falls & Park is managed and operated by the UDC.
Readers Bureau, Contributor
Edited by Jesus Chan
Do you want to add feedback to this story?
Please add a comment in the box below or send an email to email@example.com, Call us at 201-500-7715