It’s a male thing to ignore the warning signs that ‘all is not well’ in terms of his health even at his own peril. Health seeking habits are distinctly different across gender and for decades healthcare providers have not been able to reverse this behavior. In general, males have poor health-seeking habits.
An inquisitive partner or mate is the one who ends up insisting that a doctor’s appointment be made to “check things out”. Another approach is desperately needed to motivate guys that prevention is much better than cure. That approach seems to be the strategy of the Wellness Industry which may lure guys with the promise of:
- Improved stamina and sexual prowess
- Attracting women with the athletic physique
- Workout routines to improve strength
- Weight loss or muscle building programs for greater appeal
- Nutrition for optimal health
Top causes of mortality (death) among men in the USA
- Heart disease
- Lower respiratory disease
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Unhealthy diets
- Risk taking behavior
- Delay in seeking care
Signs and symptoms that should never be ignored
- Chest pains
- Coughing blood
- Shortness of breath
- Change in bowel habits
- Blood in the urine or stool
- Difficulty passing urine
- Pain in the scrotum
- Blood in semen
- Unexplained weight loss
- Unusual skin wart
- Sudden weakness in limbs
- Unexplained weight loss
Tips for health and fitness
- If you smoke, get help with smoking cessation.
- Healthy eating should be guided by any special dietary considerations example diabetes
- Have a proper assessment for your Body Mass Index (BMI) and waist circumference. Work towards achieving your ideal weight.
- Physical activity and exercise should be prescribed depending on age, flexibility, and heart health
- Limit your use of alcohol to the limit recommended by the dietitian
- Stress management, time management, and R&R.
- Practice safe sex. Have one faithful partner and seek to know your HIV status.
- Have an annual medical done with the recommended visits. Screening tests for prostate and colon are to be done with the frequency advised by your healthcare provider.
So then, guys, we want you to reach your highest potential and live long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Healthy living and fitness are two ingredients that you must invest in for yourself and your loved ones.
Readers Bureau Contributor
Do you want to add feedback to this story? Please add comment in e-mail box below.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TheReadersBureau
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/readersbureau21