“For men and women”
As we age, the pelvic organs tend to sag. This is due to a stretching and weakening of the muscles of the pelvic floor. The pelvis is located between the hips. These powerful muscles help to hold in place the bladder, rectum, bowels and uterus in women. Admittedly, the common symptom of urinary incontinence is more frequently seen in women due to the prolapse of the bladder and also the womb.
Kegel exercise is practiced to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. It requires squeezing and releasing the muscles used to “hold” urine. It is recommended that this exercise be done 8 times at least three times a day.
After 3 months, there should be improvement in mild to moderate symptoms of:
- Urinary incontinence
- Uterine prolapse
- Urethral prolapse
- Rectal prolapse
- Lack of or weak female orgasm
- Premature ejaculation
Avoid doing Kegel exercises while urinating as some practitioners think this could result in the back flow of urine which could cause adverse effects including urinary tract infection.
Tips prevent prolapses including urinary incontinence include
- Weight management for persons who are overweight or frankly obese. Weight loss can decrease the pressure put of the pelvic organs and prevent sagging and protrusion through the vagina, urethra, or rectum.
- Strengthening the muscles that keep the pelvic organs intact and control bladder function. Practicing Kegel exercise lifts and tones the sagging of the pelvic floor muscles. To help you locate the pelvic floor muscles, try interrupting the stream of urine while urinating. Once you are aware of the muscles used to control the bladder, this exercise must not be habitually be done while urinating (for the reasons already given).
- If you are already experiencing early signs of urinary incontinence, avoid drinking large volumes of fluid at one go. Instead, drink small amounts of fluid throughout the day. Also, limit the intake of alcoholic beverages.
- Adult disposable diapers remove the anxiety and fear of a urinary or fecal “accident”. Adult diapers are more attractive and comfortable to wear as undergarments. Consider wearing adult diapers until a permanent solution is available.
Get a jump start to keeping the pelvic floor muscles well-toned and strong. Let us not wait until old age causes the sagging of the pelvic organs. The Kegel exercise is a proven way of intensifying sexual pleasure and orgasm. There are intra-vaginal gadgets available to help women master the Kegel technique.
“Live well, live strong, live happy.”
Hello_docjam, Readers Bureau, Fellow
Do you want to add feedback to this story? Please add comment in box below.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TheReadersBureau
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/readersbureau21