There is no end in sight to the wanton killing of innocent people and destruction of property by the al-Qaeda affiliate group Boko Haram.
According to a press report, fighters kidnapped at least 60 people in a deadly attack in northern Cameroon on Sunday.
The Nigeria-based Islamist militants have wreaked havoc across Nigeria, Chad, and Cameroon.
Their latest attack came a day after neighboring Chad deployed troops to combat the militants in Cameroon and Nigeria, as part of a regional bid to combat the insurgents.
A police officer reportedly told AFP that the militants “burst into two villages in the Tourou area… They torched houses and left with around 60 people. Most of them were women and children.”
The report added that several people were killed. It also said the Cameroon army had “launched an operation” in the wake of the assault.
“It is the largest abduction ever carried out in Cameroon’s Far North region by Boko Haram and comes amid mounting fears the group is expanding its operations into neighboring countries”, the report said.
Cameroon already came under attack last Monday when it said its troops repelled a raid by Boko Haram on a northern military base, killing 143 militants in the process.
Reports have shown that Boko Haram has killed more than 5,000 civilians between July 2009 and June 2014, including at least 2,000 in the first half of 2014.
Moreover, 650,000 people have reportedly fled the conflict zone by August 2014, an increase of 200,000 since May. A total of over 1.5 million people had fled the region by last year end.
The Nigerian Government has faced widespread criticism for failing to stop the group, which is fighting to create a hardline Islamic state.
Readers Bureau, Contributor
Do you want to add feedback to this story? Please add comment in box below.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TheReadersBureau
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/readersbureau21