Looking for something different to add to your menu? Here are two Jamaican recipes you may want to try and provide us with your feedback.
- 1 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/3 cups Carnation evaporated milk
- 2 Tablespoon margarine
- 3 Tablespoon Jamaican All Purpose Seasoning (Caribbean Sunshine Jamaican All Purpose Seasoning – 11 oz or Grace All Purpose Seasoning – 4 Oz )
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Boil the sweet potatoes in a medium sauce pan until tender.
- Drain and mash while still hot.
- Add evaporated milk, margarine, and All Purpose Seasoning.
- Mix well. Pour into a butter casserole.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 6.
Bread Pudding – Jamaican Style
- 1 lb day-old white bread (preferable hard dough bread)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 cups whole milk
- 5 eggs (beaten well)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with butter.
- Line the baking dish with wax paper.
- Remove the crust from the bread.
- Break up the bread into small portions.
- Combine the bread, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, rum, raisins, and melted butter in a mixing bowl.
- Pour into the baking dish.
- Mix the condensed milk, eggs, and whole milk.
- Pour this over the bread mixture in the baking dish.
- Place the oven
- Bake for 1¼ hours. You can test if it is baked by inserting a small knife in the middle until it comes out clean.
- Best served with Ice cream or whipped cream.
- Serves 6 to 8.